Cancer statistics of SSK Okmeydanı Training and Research Hospitals Department of Oncology from 1999 to 2004
Mustafa İZMİRLİ1, Süleyman ALTIN2, Berna Olcum DERNEK2, Mustafa ÜNSAL2
1Yüzüncü Yıl Üniversitesi, Tıp Fakültesi, Radyasyon Onkolojisi Anabilim Dalı, Van, Turkey
2SSK Okmeydanı Eğitim ve Araştırma Hastanesi, Radyasyon Onkolojisi Kliniği, İstanbul
In this study, we evaluated the cancer incidence and demographic characteristics in people have social insurance after from digital registration date. Evaluation was done using 6 years data after that time.

We investigated the 52.214 patients having diagnosed as cancer between 1st January 1999 and 31st December 2004. Final diagnosis was evaluated with considering he patient's age, sex, admit time, county, and stage of illness.

2 8.830 patients were males (55.2%) and 23.384 were females (44.86%) an median age at the time of admission was 56 (range 0- 98). The frequency of disease was 0.7% in 0-14 years old age group, 20.5% 15-44 years old age group, 24.3% 45-54 years old age group, 27.1% 55 to 64 years old age group, and 27.4% 65 years and older age group. The 81.7% of the cases were having with local-regional disease and the remaining 18.3% were having distant metastasized disease. The detected most frequent 10 types of cancer were as follows; lung cancer 22.1%, breast cancer 15.2%, colorectal cancer 8.6%, gastric cancer 6.0%, thyroid cancer 4.0%, non-Hodgkin lymphoma 3.7%, central nervous system cancers 3.5%, ovary cancer 2.7%, corpus uteri cancer 2.5%, and larynx cancer 2.5%. The most frequent 5 cancers only for females were breast (33.4%), colorectal (8.3%), thyroid (6.9%), ovary (6.0%), and corpus uteri cancer (5.5%), and for males lung (36.1%), colorectal (8.8%), stomach (7.2%), larynx cancer (4.1%) and non-Hodgkin lymphoma (4.0%). The number of patients showed significant increase from 1999 (7.014) to 2004 (10.8 2 3 ) .

We present the statistical data for cancer patients who admitted to the SSK Okmeydanı Training and Research Hospital Department of Radiation Oncology before the time of revolution from SSK to Healthy ministry. That data can give us some opinion for frequency of cancer in Marmara and west of Karadeniz region. Keywords : Cancer statistics; epidemiology; incidence